Monday, January 25, 2010

Braedon!

Last week was an exciting week for us!

After the holiday break, I felt like we were back at square one with Braedon and his behavior at school. He did so well over the 2 week break but it's probably because he didn't "have to do anything" as far as school work or anything that really required any sort of concentration.

So the first week back was rough...even rougher because he was not going up to 1st grade for math. The 1st grade class was "re-organizing". My guess is they were re-testing the kiddos because they were split up into 3 levels-below 1st grade, average, above average-and they needed to make sure everyone was where they should be. This meant Braedon had to stay in Kindergarten during math. He has been working on double digit addition/subtraction so you can imagine the torture of having to do single digit addition and "how many are in this picture".

Ok so fast forward to last week-I picked him up from school as I always do but Miss Fredrickson seemed distracted so we didn't really talk much about his day-no biggie. I get home and when I looked in his folder for the day's report, announcements, homework, I saw a permission slip. WELL! This wasn't just any permission slip...it was a permission slip to test him for the Gifted and Talented program!! Oh...my...goodness! I talked to her the next day about it and learned the testing will be in March and that she requested it. She said "he's a very analytical thinker and always thinks outside the box" and "I really just think there is something there"! I finally felt like my thoughts were being heard! After months and months of conferences with her and the assistant principal to figure out what might work and countless times of me telling them "HE'S BORED!"..they finally listened! I've always known he was smart and not just being biased. His preschool teachers always said something. Not only is he smart, he's quick to learn which is always a good skill to have.

So the test is really hard and there isn't much I can do to prepare him for it but everyone at the school is confident he will do just fine. If for whatever reason he doesn't make it this year, they will definitely test him next year. And once he's in, he's in!!

Isn't that great?! I'm so excited for him and I know this will be what he needs. He's not being challenged enough and is getting uber bored in class which then leads to misbehavior.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear the results. I can bet that he would thrive so much better in challenging environment. WTG Braedon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and you need to update our family picture here soon. The girls have that "preemie" look in that 3 month shot. Grr...I still need to get you the pictures for my Christmas gift. There are always too many things to do. LOL

    ReplyDelete