Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Braedon's bug bite

On Sunday I noticed Braedon's right hand was pretty swollen and there was a bump on the top that looked like a pimple then what appeared to be a scratch of some kind. He didn't remember being bit and we couldn't figure out where he could have since we hadn't been anywhere that day. So we tried not to worry about it and went swimming. When he went to bed, it still looked about the same but the swelling was getting harder. I checked on him at midnight-no change-but when he got up for school yesterday, his whole hand was puffy all the way down to his fingers and it was red around the swelling. Braedon said he felt fine and it didn't hurt so we went to school. I asked his teacher to keep an eye on it for me and to call if it got worse but that I would be callling the doctor to get him in. I had to get him out of school about 20 min early and when we got to the ped, he was running a low grade fever (99.3). The doctor looked at his hand and noticed it was warm but didn't seem to concerned since Braedon wasn't in obvious pain-though he has a very high threshold for pain. He said it hurt a little but that was after she had been pushing on it for a few minutes. Anyway long story short, they prescribed him with an antibiotic just in case for the fever and told me to give him Benadryl to help with the swelling. If it gets worse or doesn't get better by tomorrow, then I need to call. This morning it looked way better though. The redness was virtually gone but the swelling was still there.

After the fiasco at the peds, I talked to my mother in law and she reminded me that Braedon had rolled around in the grass on Saturday night and may have been bit by an ant. I guess it is safe to assume he is allergic to ants since he was bitten a couple months ago on his foot by an ant and had the same swelling reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment