Thursday, July 23, 2009

Day 4 and the end of the first week

Another day of no nightmares or panic when I woke up :-) However, it was a rough night with Cohen...and by rough, I don't mean I have a newborn baby rough..just that he was moaning and whining in his sleep more than usual and he woke up at 5:30ish which is earlier than he has been. He was getting up at 4 but we started eliminating that feeding until he got sick. After he was over the Roseola, he eliminated it on his own and started sleeping until 7ish. I sent Chris in this morning to put him back to sleep but he was up again before 7 which didn't give me time to take a shower or start getting Braedon's lunch ready.

I had promised Braedon we would go earlier so he would have time to play so the goal was to leave about 7:40 when we had been leaving at 8. Our morning was as it had been the last couple days-Braedon ate breakfast and got ready fairly quickly and was able to play with some toys for about 10 min before we left.

When we got to school, there was only 1 other child there and no teachers so we waited a few minutes. Once everyone started showing up, I was waiting for the teachers to say it was ok for them to go play since they've been re-painting near the playground. I also wanted to see who his friend were and maybe see who he is getting in trouble with it. Before I know it, I was about to tell him bye and he ran up to me and punched me in my arm-hard. After he did it, he just looked at me like he hadn't done anything wrong. He flipped an attitude with me when he appologized and didn't seem to care that he had hurt me and that it was wrong to punch someone. I pulled him aside and told him that he hurt my feelings-which he didn't care and just kept asking if he could go play yet. I told him that if I got another bad report from his teacher today then he would NOT be allowed to watch Transformers when he got home nor would he be allowed to play with his toys or do anything fun. He's had a bad report for 3 days and we didn't punish him; just talked to him.

You'll have to scroll down for how his day went. But for now-more pictures of my handsome dude :-)

Photobucket

Photobucket
So are you noticing a trend here??

Yes-I do LOVE Braedon in plaid
Yes-he does have a "few" shorts in this very handsome plaid print-7 to be exact
Yes-I did count them :-)
Yes-he does pick out his clothes the night before
Yes-I do set out said outfits and let him chose which one he wants to wear
No-he hasn't selected a "non plaid" shorts outfit
Yes-it has been an option
No-I don't influence which outfit he chooses of the one's I've laid out
Yes-he does know how absolutely handsome he is and in fact, when he's picking out his clothes for the next day he says "I think I'll look handsome in this".

And now for how his 4th day went which also concludes his first week. Today, I went straight to Ms. Jimenez when I saw him dragging behind the class and not wanting to approach me. She said he did really great-much better than yesterday-UNTIL 11am when he punched one of his friends in the back. She said he called it a super punch. When I asked him about it, he said that this friend had a ball that he wanted. I asked him if he asked him for it and he said no, he just punched him. The problem we had today is that was 2 punching incidents and he doesn't seem to care or acknowlege that it is wrong and it hurts. He just kept saying "it was a super punch" or "it was just a punch in the shoulder". Apparently he doesn't know the difference between real and fake. The "super punch" line got me thinking about the Bolt video game he plays where Bolt has super powers one of them being a "super bark". Chris and I decided that he needs to lay off the video games because once we thought about it, all of them have some sort of reward for punching, kicking and knocking things over. He has a few that we will let him play like Boom Blox which is like a Tetris meets Jenga? Steven Speilberg created it so he had something to play with his kids. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. I think we are going to take him to see a psychologist so he has someone to talk to. Maybe someone that is trained in behaviors can get to the root of the problem and help him figure out a way to control his anger instead of getting rid of it by hitting, kicking, etc.

I'm really going to buckle down this weekend with him. I've been "picking my battles" for a while because sometimes it's just not worth it but we've tried everything and it's not working either. I am going to concentrate on positive reinforcements and praise when he's good. I hope we have a better week next week.

And now a couple pictures of Cohen from dinner tonight.

What are you lookin at?

Photobucket

Do I have something on my face??

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I was hoping Braedon would be good at school and have a better report. I'm sorry that he is acting out. I think that limiting his video games is a good idea and hopefully you can get him into a good psychologist that will help you all figure out what is going on with him.

    Cute picture of Cohen. He loves his food, doesn't he???

    ReplyDelete