Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Mystery Fever

We visited the pediatrician yet again today. Grrr. His fever peeked at 103.5 at 6am this morning so I called as soon as the office opened to get him seen. Our appointment was at 12 but they couldn't find anything wrong with him. I didn't give him any Tylenol so they would be able to record the fever-I was keeping an eye on it to make sure he didn't get too hot though. When we got there, his fever was 101.5. His lungs were clear, chest sounded fine, no ear infections, and his throat looked fine. She said that it is something viral but we just have to wait to see if any other symptoms pop up because as of now, the fever is the only indicatin that his body is fighting something. She told me not to be alarmed if he wakes up tomorrow or Friday morning with a rash. I guess there is some sort of viral infection that only has a fever the first 3-4 days, then the fever breaks and a rash appears. I can't remember the name of it but she said we would just have to let it run it course and once the rash is there, he isn't contagious anymore..but we don't know if he's contagious since we don't know exactly what he has.

His 9 month well baby check is scheduled for Friday so she said to go ahead and keep that appointment. If the fever is still present with no rash, they will order blood work to see if they can pinpoint what the problem is. Hopefully it resolves itself and we won't have to go through that but the unknown is scary. We haven't been anywhere for him to catch anything other than Sunday when we went to the mall to have pictures taken. I really hope he didn't catch anything there-who knows what it could be then.

Oh and as if our day wasn't exciting enough, I got to call poison control tonight. Arg! Apparently one of the dogs likes to play with dead birds! I don't know how it gone in the house, how long it had been there and who the culprit was but when we got home, I nursed Cohen and put him down for a nap while Braedon and I watched a movie in the living room. Cohen woke up from his nap, nursed again and went to play while I made dinner. Braedon got up to go to the bathroom and when he came back in the living room he said something about a bird. He asked if it was a real bird or a toy bird..I was completely confused so I went over to see what he was talking about. Low and behold, a DEAD PIGEON lay in the middle of our living room behind Cohen's walker. I freaked out-I didn't know how it got there, where it came from and how long it had been there. Then it set in that Cohen was playing around in that area since that is where all his toys were. He was now happy as a clam in his high chair eating a cookie. It hit me that he may have touched the bird and now his hands (and yucky scary bird germs) were all over this cookie and in his mouth. I called Chris, then I called the pediatrician-I mean, serioiusly, who do you call to find out what to do in this situation?? The triage nurse then referred me to poison control animal unit or something like that. The lady I talked to was very nice and tried to calm me down. I guess if this situation had to happen, at least it was a pigeon. She said they are immune to all the nasty bird flu's and other gross diseases that birds tend to carry. She told me to calm down and to wash him off really good-already done-I took his cookie away from him, stripped him down and washed (actually scrubbed would be a better word) him down head to toe...then gave him a fresh cookie. She told me that if he were to have touched it-since I don't know if he did-then it wouldn't be any worse than your typical average boy that eats dirt. Ok that calmed me down a little-still gross to think about but thank GOD it was just a pigeon in this case.

Oh and by the way...I HATE PIGEONS-especially now!

1 comment:

  1. I hope that Cohen is feeling better by his appointment on Friday and this "virus" is done running its course.

    How scary about pigeon. I would have freaked out also. I'm sure he is fine, but it must of been scary to not know if he touched it or not. I like the comment about boys eating dirt. Silly boys!

    ReplyDelete